7/5/13

Award Winning Children's Book on Happiness

Hugo The Happy Starfish, The Secret to Happiness by Suzy Liebermann. 


This book is pretty amazing, and is even printed in 7 different languages! Hugo is a cute little starfish. He sometimes finds his life to be a little dull. Tired of feeling sad, one day he sets off to find happiness. After much searching, he discovers something that makes his heart do a somersault! Sharing with others is the only thing that makes him truly happy; all other things just made him feel better for a little while.

My Book Review:  

The cover flap not only gives a brief description of the story, but I like how the author also discusses character development.  She introduces Spanish words, ecological alertness and life skills through the underwater sea world creatures.

I've always wanted to learn Spanish, and still have a hard time with that.

I like how Suzy Liebermann has a couple of pages at the end of the story to draw about specific topics that her books focus on.  She also includes a website for more games, fun and information. Hugo The Happy Starfish.  Her book is a Best Books Award Finalist.
award winning children's book
Regarding the story itself, the one thing I particularly did not like was right after Hugo had discovered this treasure and bought all he wanted, after a year his sadness returned.  Hugo visits his magical friend the Manta.  His wise friend tells Hugo to be happy forever, he needs to "Just share with others!".  This part I didn't have a problem with.  The following is what urked me.  "Hugo thought for a while.  Then he had an idea:  I could share my heart with others."  Now sharing your heart and serving others is truly what will make you a happy person.  I truly believe that. However, those I read the book to, all agreed that this was a greedy little Starfish and not willing to share his wealth and riches, just his heart.  Maybe that's because we were all grandparents and not children.  Just saying...
That being said, I believe the book was a great kids book.  I think my grandkids would enjoy it. You can get your copy here.

Why I liked this book

I like the basis of the story of happiness and how serving others and sharing with them is what truly makes one happy.  The underwater sea creatures help make this a fun children's book.

What could be better: 

I personally felt like Hugo the Starfish seemed a little greedy by not wanting to share his wealth, just his heart.

But all in all, a great book to read!

Do you have other childrens books that help develop character? Share them below!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment