1/11/12

Wheat Bread Even Your Kids will Eat

 I went to an activity last night that taught a group of women of all ages how to cook different types of artisan breads.  This was the favorite, and guess what?  My two kids who are super picky actually liked this bread!  Getting my kids to eat healthy stuff is hard, not because we don't eat healthy food, but because we don't have super healthy stuff very often.  And even though this isn't super duper healthy, its is healthy and yummy and moist and great!  The woman who made this recipe is from Texas, and well I lived in Houston for 10 years so I have a special place in my heart for food from my home state!

They don't like pumpkin soup, or lentils (granted I'm still learning how to cook with lentils), but they love rice pilaf and fruits and most vegetables...but breads  and soups are something my kids are super picky with.  I'm glad I went to that activity and learned how to make this yummy healthy bread, and its super easy.  You can use your kitchen aid, or a bosch, or elbow grease.  I'm including the recipe below, but here are a few pictures of what it looks like!














White Wheat Bread: by Pat Viehweg

2 cups washed whole wheat
4 cups water
6 cups very warm water (use drained water from Cooking wheat with water from tap)
1/2 cup sugar
4 packets/ 4 Tbsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
14-15 cups all purpose flour

Combine washed whole wheat with the 4 cups of water, allow to soak overnight.  Fully cook (pressure or boil) whole wheat for 10 minutes or until soft, then drain but keep the water.  Use water from cooking wheat to combine with tap water to make 6 cups liquid.  Place in a large mixing bowl.  Add sugar and yeast together in 1 cup of water.  After yeast foams stir in salt, shortening, beaten egg and 6 cups flour.  Beat with mixer until smooth.  Stir in cooked wheat and enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.  Place in oiled bowl or pan and allow to rise 30 minutes.  Divides dough into 7 portions.  working on oiled surface (I find this more effective than flour) with oiled rolling pin, roll out air bubbles in each portion.  Roll up dough and form into loaves.  Place in oiled 4 1/2 X8 inch loaf pan.  Cover and let rise until double.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.  Brush tops with margarine when loaves are removed from oven.  This also makes great french toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment