10/5/15

Carrot Cake Jam ~ YUM!

My husband absolutely positively loves carrot cake.  Just a month ago we found a 4-layer one for less than most stores have a two layer carrot cake for.  Yeah, of course we bought it, and enjoyed every last bite.

When he had a business trip coming up, I took advantage of the extra free time I would have and decided to make homemade carrot cake jam just for him.


I scoured through Pinterest and found several delicious recipes worthy of trying.  However, I modified and took from each and came up with my own version.

The ultimate test came when we had our weekly homemade hot delicious whole wheat bread served with real butter and the newly made carrot cake jam.  My husband really really liked it a lot.  It comes in a close second behind that 4 layer carrot cake we ate a month ago.

Here's my recipe.  Makes approximately 6 half-pint jars.


Carrot Cake Jam

Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups peeled and grated carrots (about 4 or 5)
  2. 1 cup peeled and diced Granny Smith apple (1 medium)
  3. 1 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple with juice (I use the one packed in its own juice)
  4. 3 tablespoons lemon concentrate
  5. 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (depends on how well you like cinnamon, I used the       1 1/2 teaspoons)
  6. 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  7. 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  8. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  9. 3 tablespoons powdered pectin for low sugar recipes
  10. 4 cups sugar
  11. 1 tablespoon molasses
  12. 1 teaspoon vanilla
  13. 1/3 cup shredded coconut
Directions:

  • In a large and deep pan combine grated carrots, diced apple, pineapple with juice, lemon juice and spices.  Bring mixture to boil over high heat, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat to medium and cover. Boil gently, stir occasionally for 20 minutes.
  • Remove from head and immediately sprinkle in pectin and whisk briskly until completely dissolved. Return to heat and bring to a boil stirring continuously.  Add sugar and molasses all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Continue to cook at a full rolling boil and while stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute.  Remove pan from heat, skim off any foam, stir in vanilla and coconut.
  • Carefully ladle hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Remove any air bubbles and adjust headspace by adding or removing jam.  Wipe rim clean and center lid (flat) on jar.  Tightly screw band/rim on jar.
  • Place in hot water bath, making sure each jar is completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil, then process for 10 minutes.  Remove canner lid and wait 5 minutes.  Remove jars, cool on wire racks.

Tips:

To sterilize jars I wash my jars either by hand or in dishwasher.  Then I get a 10 inch metal cake pan filled half way with water.  I place my jars upside down in the pan and place pan on stove burner.  I turn the heat to medium high so it is lightly boiling.  Be sure to keep an eye on the bottles as sometimes one or more jars will suck up the water into the pan causing all other jars to be in a dry pan.  Do Not let this happen as it will lead to broken jars.  You may want to turn heat down to medium once water starts to boil.

To sterilize my flats/or lids I get another 10 inch metal cake pan and place them rubber side down in the pan with water and keep them at a low boil until I'm ready to place on the jars.

You can substitute the Granny Smith apple for another tart apple of your choice, or with a pear. You can add crystallized ginger instead of powered ginger.  You can add raisins, but they will swell in the jam and be more like grapes than raisins.

Or if you don't want to make your own I recommend the following. It's super good!

No comments:

Post a Comment